What’s in the box July 14 – Barley and Pomegranate Salad
Today’s link for the box content is here – remember that contents will vary depending upon the size of the box.
I get the medium box which will have no lemons in it this week -thank God!! If you mooch on over to my home page you will see why I say that and you can also pick up a couple of ways to preserve lemons if you find yourself with more than you can immediately handle.
If you are seeking new ways to offer cauli or broccoli to the family, have you thought of a frittata? You can stick just about anything in them and, with some greens, they make a complete, easy meal.
If the pomegranates still have you flumoxed then give this healthy salad a try. It is from Yotam Ottolenghi’s new book “Plenty” and I hope that he doesn’t mind my sharing it with you. If you are in the market for a new vegetable cookbook then I would urge you to find a copy of this book – it is simply beautiful.
- 200gm pearl barley
- 6 celery sticks diced small (save leaves)
- 60ml olive oil
- 3 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- ⅔ tsp allspice
- 3 tbsp chopped dill
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
- seeds from 2 large pomegranates
- salt and pepper
- Rinse the barley, cover with cold water and simmer 30-35 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and put in mixing bowl. While still hot add the celery, oil, vinegar, garlic, allspice and salt and pepper. Allow to cool completely.
- When cool add the herbs, celery leaves and pomegranate. Check seasoning, then serve.