Chocolate Peanut Spread – leaving you with sweet memories!

by Amanda McInerney on 08/05/2012

Well my lovelies, things are about to get a little bit of a shake-up on this blog as of later this week.  The Husband and I are off on holidays in a few days and will be spending the next five or so weeks in Italy, Paris and London, via HongKong!  I’ll be taking along my trusty lap-top (grumblings of unhappiness about this from the blokey corner of the room) and will be doing my best to keep you up to date with pictures and commentary on our travels.  It’s almost like taking you on holidays with us!  (More grumbles.)

There is also another minor change in the wind as my favourite kitchen-ware supplier, Everten Online, contributes some of their latest kitchen and bakeware products for me to offer my readers as prizes.  Keep your eyes on these pages over the next few weeks as I will have some very special products available for you to win, with very little effort on your part!

In the meantime, I wanted to share my breakfast with you.  Well – not literally, of course.  My fondness for peanuts combined with chocolate led me to create this Chocolate Peanut spread and the use of salted peanuts gives a hint of the salty/sweet contrast I love .  I made mine in the Thermomix (I know, again), but it would be just as easy to do with an ordinary food processor and a double boiler, although it may not be quite as smooth.  It would be worth using icing sugar if you don’t have a Thermomix as this will combine more smoothly. I love it on hot croissants or crumpets, where it goes all melty, but my kids enjoy it on hot waffles or pancakes.  If it was softened in the microwave it would also make a lovely frosting for cakes and I’m sure you could think of plenty of other ways to enjoy it.

Chocolate Peanut Spread

Author:

Ingredients
  • 50 gms caster sugar (use icing sugar if using normal food processor)
  • 60 gms salted, roasted peanuts
  • 100 gms 70% chocolate
  • 25 gms cocoa
  • 70 gms soft butter (NOT margarine)
  • 80 gms milk

Instructions
  1. Thermomix Instructions
  2. Place sugar in bowl & pulverise for 10 seconds, speed 8.
  3. Add peanuts & chocolate and grind for 10-15 seconds, speed 8. Scrape down.
  4. Add butter and milk and cook for 6 minutes, 50C, speed 3.
  5. Whizz for 20 seconds, speed 5 or until completely smooth.
  6. Processor Instructions
  7. Grind sugar, chocolate and nuts together until mixture as smooth as possible.
  8. Melt butter and milk together over medium heat, add chocolate mixture and stir until combined and smooth.
  9. Cool slightly, then return to processor and whizz until as smooth as possible.
  10. Store in refrigerator.

JJ @ 84thand3rd May 8, 2012 at 11:27 am

Have a fabulous trip Amanda – it sounds wonderful! Love the idea of using salted peanuts but that spread sounds way too dangerous to have around ;)

Anna @ The Littlest Anchovy May 8, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I agree with JJ-I am not sure how I would go having this too close to me!
Have a wonderful trip, I look forward to seeing all your photos!

Spencer May 8, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Looks absolutely delicious! The perfect way to start your day.

Sharon @ Funken Wagnel May 8, 2012 at 4:24 pm

You can’t go wrong with peanuts…droool!

Beth May 8, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Your spread looks wonderful. Enjoy your travels!

Barbara May 9, 2012 at 6:52 am

Nice combination.

Bon voyage.

Kate May 9, 2012 at 7:30 am

I can never make that spread – I would eat the lot. Your trip sounds so fabulous. Your return will coincide with my departure. I am walking the Austrian Alps then a week of cycling through Finland, then 3 days in St Petersburg before home . I look forward to e-travelling with you and am so glad you will have your lap top in tow !!

Hotly Spiced May 9, 2012 at 11:55 am

Thanks so much for taking me on holiday with you. I’m really looking forward to it. Can’t wait to discover Paris, London and Rome with you. The grumbling one can sit at the back of the bus! xx

Jennifer (Delicieux) May 9, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Have a wonderful trip Amanda!! I’m really looking forward to living vicariously through your updates.

Love the chocolate peanut spread too. Looks like dangerously delicious stuff. :D

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella May 9, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Have a great trip! I was just in Hong Kong and it is an amazing culinary city-have fun exploring it!

InTolerantChef May 9, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Oh you lucky creature you! If I didn’t love you, I would have to hate you :) I’m so glad you’re taking along your lap top, as I’m still stuck at home and need to live vicariously through other peoples adventures at the moment.
I so wish you hadn’t posted this recipe- I just have to make it, and then I will just have to eat it :)

Judy May 9, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Have a great trip Amanda and DH – looking forward to sharing your trip through your postings. I am going to make this recipe, I have great willpower so a little of a good thing can’t be that bad can it?

celia May 10, 2012 at 5:35 am

Cool! We get to go on holidays with you! Can’t wait! :) And I love Everton Online as well, they’ve got some great prices! Have fun.. xx

nazar May 10, 2012 at 2:58 pm

what sort of pastry did you use in the photo above the recipe ?
they look so yummy
have a great holiday

Jamie May 10, 2012 at 7:02 pm

“grumblings of unhappiness about this from the blokey corner of the room” HA HA HA oh this has me laughing out loud because I live this every day in conjunction with my laptop activities. And how lucky are you?! 5 weeks to travel through some incredible places. So lucky! And sorry to the menfolk but I’ll be looking forward to your updates. And this peanut chocolate spread is crazy amazing!

Lizzy (Good Things) May 10, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Awsome Amanda… miss you already!!!!! Enjoy yourself and keep in touch. Many hugs xoxox

Amanda May 10, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Nazar – that was just a commercially bought croissant. I’m far too lazy to make them myself!

Amanda May 10, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Jamie – I’ll be hunting down an electronic tablet while in Hong Kong. You should have witnessed the eye-rolling and sighs when I announced that!

Peter G | Souvlaki ForThe Soul May 15, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Have a great trip Amanda. I look forward to reading about your travels. That chocolate peanut spread looks and sounds divine!