Wish You Were Here – Perperikon in Bulgaria

by Amanda McInerney on 13/11/2013

Perperikon

Perperikon is the site of an ancient Thracian city in the south west of Bulgaria, where human activity goes back a mind boggling 7,000 years. Archaeologists  working at the top of this high, rocky hill have uncovered a giant palace, temples, an ancient church and what is thought to be the temple of Dionysus. Work is being carried out to make the area accessible for tourists, including constructing a paved path up the very steep hill. We enjoyed no such luxury and had to leap, goat-like, from rock to rock – passing the snoozing workers on the way. Not a bad view from this guy’s bedroom, though, is it?

Fran @ G'day Souffle' November 14, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Under your post “Bulgarian Fresh Food”- the markets look like food bloggers heaven with such a fresh assortment of cheap produce. Unfortunately, the Bulgarians are still quite poor and many migrate to France, where they have to beg on the streets. Amanda, I am a bit confused, you were recently in Vancouver, then Bulgaria and also a post from Pier 39 in San Francisco! You seem to be travelling quite a bit!

Amanda McInerney November 14, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Fran – “Wish You Were Here” is just a weekly postcard from my travels over the last year or two.

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef November 14, 2013 at 5:08 pm

I’ve only gone northeast from Sofia. Now I must go back!

Hotly Spiced November 14, 2013 at 5:36 pm

When they finish all the digging and discovery, I would love to see the ancient ruins xx

Amanda McInerney November 14, 2013 at 8:05 pm

We’ll all be long gone when they finish Charlie. It’s a very significant site and they tell me that they think there is enough to keep archaeologists very busy for several hundred years!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella November 15, 2013 at 10:30 am

Hehe I guess you gotta sleep when you gotta sleep! :P