Wish You Were Here Postcards – Roman Rogues

by Amanda McInerney on 26/03/2014

I saw these two tricksters sitting just outside of the Parthenon in Rome in December and, like a total mug, was completely amazed. They sit stock-still, with one apparently using just one arm to hold the other up on a pole. Of course, there is a cap in front of them for the gullible to donate coins. My sceptical son jeered when I told him about them & explained to me that there is an artfully concealed support up the sleeve of the holder and an equally concealed platform under the behind of the man on the pole. I’m still giving them points for craftiness.

Update – 28 March 2014

This image has caused quite a bit of interest, so I’ll share my later sighting of these guys. It was a couple of days later in Rome’s Piazza Navona. I didn’t actually see the men, just a very large black bag which had people moving inside of it. There must be a third man for this scam to work. I suspect he appears at regular intervals to spell the totally unmoving tricksters by placing the bag over them so they can then rearrange themselves or swap places. I’m told the support is a metal plate on which the lower man sits, with an attached brace going up his sleeve, on which his arm rests. The pole is attached to that and has another plate on top of it on which the top man sits. Ingenious, isn’t it?

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella March 26, 2014 at 7:29 pm

What a clever idea. I would have stopped to take pics too!

celia March 27, 2014 at 9:10 am

I think it’s brilliant, good on them! I love these postcard posts, Amanda! Has your starter arrived yet?

Judy March 27, 2014 at 10:17 am

I would have fallen for it too Amanda, my first reaction was What the??!! Was there much money in the container LOL.

nancy@jamjnr March 27, 2014 at 11:27 am

Really? I’ve been scrutinising your photo and can’t see any extra support. I would have dropped a coin for sure.

Anna Johnston March 27, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Even with the sneaky concealed support, its pretty impressive. I’m fascinated. They don’t look too chippa about this life choice tho do they?! Wonder if they make a decent living out of this. How long do they sit like this? Soooo many questions…. Thanks for sharing. Very cool!

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef March 27, 2014 at 8:33 pm

I’d have tossed a coin or two just for watching them sit still :)

Hotly Spiced March 28, 2014 at 11:38 am

It’s very clever but they look like they’re from the Middle East rather than Italy. Quite an ingenious way to make a buck xx