Wish You Were Here Postcards – Real Food

by Amanda McInerney on 23/04/2014

I love to visit the local markets whenever I travel and one of my favourites in Italy is the central market in Florence. Like any well-loved and well-used produce market they are always busy and very buzzy. The selection of food there ranges from fresh fruit and vegetables, cheeses, smallgoods, breads all the way through to fresh meat, offal and poultry. On a good day one of the butchers there has a lovely selection of pigs snouts to choose from, but this truly delicious looking chook caught my eye. Alas, I was on holiday, with no inclination to cook anything, but this would make a very fine feed indeed.

celia April 24, 2014 at 8:11 am

Real food indeed!

Hotly Spiced April 24, 2014 at 8:12 am

I know some people might find it off-putting but I love how the whole bird is included with the purchase. Years ago when I’d buy a turkey for Christmas, it would come with everything including the neck and giblets and you’d find all these things in the cavity and I’d make good use of them for the gravy and the neck skin would also be intact and I would stuff that part of the bird also so I could have bread stuffing in the cavity and a forcemeat stuffing in the neck. But these days! Everything is cut away and even though I buy organic, you just can’t get the bird intact which annoys me xx

InTolerant Chef April 24, 2014 at 11:46 am

Look at that colour! I do like how the creature is so obviously recognisable and all the extra bits are attached. Lovely :)

Anna Johnston April 24, 2014 at 2:07 pm

So cool…. What a treat, I love wondering through food markets in foreign countries. :)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella April 24, 2014 at 2:50 pm

From that picture I knew that you were in Europe! It reminds me of the Les Halles markets in Lyon :)

My Kitchen Stories April 24, 2014 at 6:12 pm

I love that market to Amanda. you can see this is fresh produce. This is no cage reared torchered chicken which is very heartening and part of life in other parts of the world

Fiona @TIFFIN bite sized food adventures April 28, 2014 at 7:43 pm

That’s the only thing about visiting markets in your travels. You are tormented by all that beautiful food but really have no way to preserve or cook it!