Wish You Were Here Postcards – Notre Dame Cathedral, Paris

by Amanda McInerney on 09/07/2014

Construction of the Notre Dame Cathedral was begun in 1163 and the building wasn’t finally completed until the mid 14th century. It has weathered riots, revolutions and war and has been broken, but not beaten – still standing proudly on the Ile de la Cite in the heart of Paris. It has three large portals across the front, giving access to the church through these enormous, heavy and ornate doors which still boast original 13th century iron-work.

InTolerant Chef July 9, 2014 at 8:49 am

So much nicer than the stainless steel and glass monstrosities that grace our modern cities!

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef July 9, 2014 at 2:27 pm

I love that church but I’ll admit that the first time I visited I thought it was the nastiest place with all the candle carbon all over the walls. I wanted to get a brush and start cleaning. It IS beautiful with so many nooks and crannies to explore.

Hotly Spiced July 9, 2014 at 8:02 pm

It’s so amazing to me, that a building of such a grand size and such towering height could have been built all those centuries ago. I wonder what the occupational, health and safety laws were at that time! xx

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella July 9, 2014 at 8:08 pm

To this that these intricate details are just one small of an enormous cathedral!

My Kitchen Stories July 9, 2014 at 10:23 pm

It is just incredible isn’t it. To think it has been there all that time and can still make you feel breathless when you see it.

Jamie July 10, 2014 at 11:20 pm

I went to Paris last year to spend a couple of days with an American friend and her family… and we did the whole sightseeing thing and for the first time in years I got to visit Paris and her monuments as a tourist. And I fell in love with the city again. Notre Dame is always beautiful.