Chicken and Thyme Sausage Rolls
These Chicken and Thyme Sausage Rolls are a simple to prepare snack which will be welcome at all your holiday gatherings.
Once again we are headed into the silly season – that time of year when everyone seems to be flat out entertaining everyone else. It’s a time of generosity and hospitality and if we are not hosting guests ourselves it’s a pretty fair bet that we are going to be enjoying the hospitality of friends, family and nearest and/or dearest (of course those terms are not always inclusive). I’m always looking for simple but tasty recipes for this time of year – something that I can whip up quickly and possibly freeze, so that I have a small selection of snacks to offer guests or take when invited elsewhere.
This recipe for chicken and thyme sausage rolls falls into the above category. It’s a longstanding favourite in this house and can be whipped up quickly with bought chicken mince and frozen pastry or you can mince up some chicken thighs, either in a food processor or using a mincer (I used the KitchenAid mincing attachment on my stand mixer) yourself and make your own pastry. There are no prizes for guessing which pastry option this lazy food blogger went for.
Serve them to the kids with some tomato sauce or to your friends with some delicious homemade chutney – they are especially nice if served with caramelised onion. Here’s where a frozen stash of my Tfaya will come in very handy indeed!
- 500 gms minced chicken
- 1 carrot, grated
- ½ preserved lemon, finely chopped (zest of one lemon if you have no preserved lemons)
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1-2 Tbsp chopped, fresh thyme
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Extra lightly beaten egg for egg wash
- 2 Tbsp nigella seeds
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F). Line baking trays with baking parchment.
- Wash your hands thoroughly.
- Place chicken, carrot, spring onion, bread crumbs, lemon, thyme and salt and pepper to taste in a large mixing bowl, add egg and combine well with your hands, smooshing it all together thoroughly.
- Cut each of the pastry sheets in half, place sausage meat along the length of the middle of each sheet and roll up, sealing the edges with a brush of egg wash.
- Place the long rolls on prepared baking trays, cut each roll to small bite-sized pieces, brush the tops with egg wash and sprinkle with the nigella seeds.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
Subscribe to Lambs' Ears and Honey
- Raspberry & White Chocolate Trifle - Lambs' Ears and Honey | A Food & Travel Blog - […] look at me – getting all organised, just like a real food blogger, with another Christmas recipe up and…
- Orange and Fennel Processor Shortbread - Lambs' Ears and Honey | A Food & Travel Blog - […] I think this Orange and Fennel Processor Shortbread is just the ticket – when it comes to quick and…