Turkish Bread Recipe
It’s easy to make these delicious, golden Turkish bread loaves at home – and if you have a Magimix Cook Expert it’s also super-fast!
I arrived home last week from a couple of weeks away and, as usual, my first inclination was to bake. My thoughts turned to a recipe for Turkish bread that I had seen on the Orgasmic Chef food blog. I had bookmarked the recipe when my friend Maureen posted it a few weeks back and I was very keen to try it out.
Bread baking is one of the joys of my life, but one that I seldom seem to write about. I used to bake all of our family bread, but these days not so much. When I do get the flour out I generally bake sourdough, using the starter sent to me by Celia from Fig Jam and Lime Cordial or, if the weather is too hot to put the oven on, but my need for decent bread is urgent, I’ll still use my trusty, ancient bread machine.
Everyone in this house loves Turkish bread and Maureen’s recipe is straightforward enough, but I wanted to see how easy I could make it by using my Magimix Cook Expert. The results totally exceeded my expectations. It was ridiculously easy to make, meaning this is a recipe that will be on high rotation around here.
I have tweaked Maureen’s original recipe just a bit, to suit our tastes, and the hand shaping is the work of mere moments. The results are golden, delicious Turkish bread loaves that lasted around here for about as long as it took to make them. I guess the speed at which they vanished says it all, so give it a try!
- 500 gms strong bakers flour ( I use Lauckes Wallaby flour)
- 7 gms dried yeast
- 375 mls warm, filtered water
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp nigella seeds
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 extra Tbs olive oil
- Place the yeast in the Magimix Cook Expert bowl first, then add all other ingredients EXCEPT the seeds, egg yolk and extra oil and lock lid on.
- Choose Bake/bread/brioche program and press auto to start. The program will stop after one minute, press auto again for it to finish kneading the dough.
- Leave the dough in the bowl and leave the lid on.
- Change program to Expert/60 minutes/speed 0/temp 30C to prove the dough.
- Place risen dough from the Cook Expert bowl onto a lightly floured surface. Cut it in half and flatten slightly before placing each onto a sheet of baking paper on oven trays. Patting and pulling, gently shape the dough into two flat, rectangular loaves about the width of your hand.
- Cover them with a damp cloth and allow to rise again for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 230C.
- Using your finger or the handle of a wooden spoon, poke the tops of each loaf.
- Whisk egg yolk and oil together and gently brush both loaves, then sprinkle with combined seeds.
- Bake for 12 minutes, until golden.