Adelaide Hills Farmers Market Cake Competition
I’ve never tried to hide the fact that I’m a bit of a slave to my sweet tooth and it’s no secret that I’ve also got a passion for local food and local food producers, so when I heard that the Adelaide Hills Farmers Market was holding a cake competition my attention was well and truly caught. The Adelaide Hills Farmers Market is a community event that is held every Saturday morning at 23 Mann St, Mt. Barker. It is a true farmers market with over 25 stalls which sell only authentic, regional, fresh and seasonal products. Like other farmers markets, it does not allow products which have been genetically modified, are out of season or have traveled significant “food miles” – although they have reached out to the Riverland producers who have been doing it pretty tough for a while now and allow a limited amount of Riverland fruit to be sold.
Last Saturday the Adelaide Hills Farmers Market held their inaugural cake competition, attracting the attention of many of the local home bakers and many more of the local cake eaters. The Competition was judged by Mt. Barker Mayor, Ann Ferguson, “Blue Ribbon Cookbook” author Liz Harfull & Rebecca Sullivan of Dirty Girl Kitchen who braved the winter chill of an Adelaide Hills morning and stoically faced up to a challenging – and eminently enviable – task. After munching their way through a large selection of beautifully presented cakes they retired to agonise over the choices, eventually announcing the winner as the splendid Rosemary and Olive Oil Cake with Lemon Infused Olive Oil Icing entered by Talinga Grove.
Talinga Grove is an award-winning family owned and run business who produce olive oil and olive products from olives grown on their property near Strathalbyn. Included in their product line-up is a beautiful range of olive oil-based skin care products, dukkah and some delightful infused olive oils, one of which is used in the icing of the winning cake. This cake looked so good I just had to ask the lovely folk at Talinga if they could see their way to sharing the recipe for this deliciously moist and fragrant cake- and here it is! The winner of the inaugural Adelaide Hills Farmers Market Cake Competition uses (naturally) Talinga oils in the recipe. They can be purchased at the farmers market at Mt. Barker on Saturday mornings, at the farm store and a selection of retail stores listed here.
|Lemon, Rosemary & Olive Oil Cake|
- 4 free-range eggs
- 3/4 Cup caster sugar
- 2/3 Cup Talinga Grove Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbs. fresh Rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 Cup SR flour
- 1/2 tsp. Murray River pink salt
- Finely grated rind of one lemon
- Preheat oven to 160 C
- Brush a loaf pan with olive oil.
- Beat eggs for 30 seconds in electric mixer. Add sugar and beat until mixture is foamy and pale in colour.
- While the mixer is still running, slowly add the olive oil.
- Stir the rosemary and lemon rind into the mixture.
- Sift into a separate bowl the flour & stir through the salt.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients.
- Pour batter into oiled pan.
- Bake for approx. 50 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Allow to cool in the pan briefly, then cool on a rack.
- When cool, mix icing sugar with equal parts butter and Talinga Grove Lemon Infused Olive Oil to form a soft icing.
All images kindly supplied by Adelaide Hills Farmers Market.