WHAT’S IN THE BOX JUNE 16 – Chicken, Broccoli and Pasta Bake
The list for this weeks boxes is here. As usual, the contents will vary depending upon the size ordered.
The winter veggies are really starting to come in now, with broccoli and cauliflower joining the usual suspects. Cauliflower can be a bit tricky to glam up – although, personally, I really can’t go past dousing it in a nice cheese sauce. However, for something a bit different, Claudia Roden (in “The New Book of Middle Eastern Food”) suggests chopping equal amounts of cauli and fennel bulb into similar sized pieces and boiling (I’d steam them) until just cooked, then dressing them with good olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper. I love fennel to bits so I’m keen to give this a go!
Just yesterday I found a scrunched up piece of paper with an old recipe that I tore from a magazine ages ago for a Chicken, Broccoli & Pasta Bake. Too easy if you cheat and buy a cooked chook and easily adapted to take in other veggies. I would also probably add some fresh herbs to this – maybe thyme.
- 250 gms small pasta spirals, cooked
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1/2 cup semi-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 300gm light sour cream
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 bunch chopped, fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup each grated mozzarella and parmesan
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease large ovenproof dish.
- Steam broccoli until just cooked.
- Combine pasta, broccoli, chicken, tomatoes and onions in large bowl.
- Stir in cream, stock, mustard, garlic and season to taste.
- Pour into ovenproof dish. Top with cheese.
- Bake approx 20 mins.