Try these delicious chicken fajitas – they are the perfect shared meal for super-simple entertaining.
It’s the beginning of the Easter long weekend here in Australia where, unlike lots of other parts of the world, we get a delicious four day break. It’s traditionally a relaxing time when we in the southern hemisphere get to enjoy either the last of the summer weather or the first welcome chill of autumn days – often sharing casual meals with family and friends. With four days up our sleeves there’s plenty of time for entertaining any way we like, but I’m a casual kind of girl so easy shared meals are favourites in our house and these delicious chicken fajitas are always popular.
Before I go any further, I will apologise for the quality of these photos. I often make these chicken fajitas for a quick, tasty dinner and every time I do I wish that I’d made them for lunch instead – the evening light in my kitchen is not great for photos.
I don’t claim that these are authentic in any way, but they are seriously delicious. No matter how big a batch I make (sometimes with left-overs in mind) they are always gobbled up, so I’m clearly not the only one who thinks so. Give yourself a break the next time you are looking for food to share and try these – you won’t be sorry.
Delicious Chicken Fajitas
- 600 gms chicken thigh or breast cut into slices
- 2 onions sliced
- 1 red capsicum sliced
- 60 mls olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp heaped tsp ground cumin
- salt to taste
- juice of 1 lime
- soft flour tortillas
- sour cream
- grated cheese
- 3 tomatoes chopped
- 1 spring onion sliced
- 1/2 red chilli chopped finely
- 1/2 bunch coriander leaves & stems chopped
- 2 avocados mashed
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1/2 bunch coriander leaves chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- Place chicken, spices, salt and half the olive oil in a large bowl, mix to combine well. Set aside.
- Heat the other half of the olive oil in large frypan, over medium heat. Add onion slices and cook until transparent.
- Add sliced capsicum and cook with onions until onions are golden and caramelised. Transfer to plate and set aside.
- Add marinated chicken to hot pan, using a little more oil if necessary, and stir over high heat in batches until cooked through and golden brown.
- Return all chicken to the pan, with the onions and capsicum, add lime juice, and heat through.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- As with the salsa, combine in a bowl.
- Serve the fajitas with salsa, guacamole, sour cream and cheese in soft flour tortillas.