Lemon Ginger Cookies
Lemon ginger cookies – a perfect way to help deal with my current glut of lemons.
I think that, sometimes, it can be too easy for us here in the wide, brown , land to take for granted just how good we have it when it comes to a growing climate. This was brought home to me quite starkly one cold winters day, years ago, when we were sharing a lunch with our new neighbours who had just moved to Adelaide from Leeds in England. We were also entertaining their parents who had come over for a holiday and who were, frankly, a little scornful of my complaints about the winter weather. While I was busying myself in the kitchen I heard Jane, our neighbour, and her mother chatting. They were gazing out the window at our navel orange tree, which was groaning with a very heavy crop that year. Jane’s mother turned to her and said “Doesn’t it look funny, to see those oranges just hanging there like that? It looks like they’ve been tied on to the tree!”
Fast-forward to another winter and I’m still complaining about the cold and, once again, have a groaning citrus tree – but there’s no way I’m complaining about that. We have a sad little orange tree up here on the hill that really tries quite hard, but we also have a lemon tree that hardly ever quits. It has fruit for most of the year round, but saves it’s best efforts for the middle of winter when I struggle to give enough away, let alone use them up myself.
Hence a flurry of lemon dishes appear on the table at this time of year and my baking takes on a much more citrus flavour. I love the refreshing zing of lemon, but when combined with the warmth of ginger it adds another dimension to all sorts of dishes. These delicious Lemon Ginger Cookies are quick to whip up, but the dough does need to rest in the fridge to firm up, so it’s ideal to put together before you go to bed, making it ready to roll out and bung in the oven (that’s the technical term) the next day. It will sit happily in the fridge for a couple of days, giving you plenty of time to bake, or could be rolled into a ball and frozen for much later.
Lemon Ginger Cookies
- 60 gms butter
- 1/2 cup of golden syrup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 270 gms plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 cup chopped crystalised ginger
- zest of one lemon
- 1 dessert spoon of milk
- 1 cup sifted icing sugar
- juice of 1 lemon
- Place butter, golden syrup & honey in a medium saucepan over low heat to melt, raise heat and bring to the boil, stirring well. Remove from heat and set aside to cool for 20 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, mix well with a wooden spoon and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 170C.
- Line baking trays with baking parchment.
- Lightly flour bench top and scrape dough onto bench. Knead very lightly until smooth, make sure your work surface is well floured, then roll out until 5mm (1/2 cm) thick. Cut into desired shapes.
- Place cut dough carefully onto trays, leaving 2-3cms between each one.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, until just golden but not browned. Turn oven off, but leave trays in to cool for a cookie with a crisp edge and a slightly chewy centre.
- For the frosting - just combine the lemon juice and icing sugar until smooth and a little runny.
- Cool completely, then drizzle with frosting.