WHAT’S IN THE BOX JUNE 23 – Onion Jam Recipe
The list for this weeks boxes of deliciousness here! Ideas for same here!!
Just look at all that yummy citrus!! Mandarines are the perfect size for school lunch boxes, I’ve covered oranges a couple of times now and lemons are always useful – if only for slicing into the gin glasses.
Beautiful beetroot is still around and last week I wrapped some in foil and baked it until soft – at least an hour, more if it is large. When it had cooled, I peeled it, diced it and dressed it with some balsamic reduction. Then I photographed it ‘cos I was thrilled with the colour!
I don’t know about the rest of you, but we seem to have a build up of onions here, so I thought that I would share my onion jam recipe with you. This will keep for ages and is a bit like caramelized onions, but more so – it is delicious with cold meats, on sandwiches and on pizza!
- 3 kg onions, sliced
- 50-70 ml olive oil
- 250 ml balsamic vinegar
- 700 gm brown sugar
- bunch of thyme, with leaves stripped
- Heat oil in saucepan and add onions, cook slowly until they are almost transparent.
- Add the balsamic and sugar and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Add thyme, salt and pepper and continue cooking until the liquid is almost all reduced.
- Store in sterilized, sealed glass jars. (They can be sterilized very easily by
- running them through a dishwasher cycle.)