Peach Vanilla Jam – and a Ball Deluxe Home Preserving Starter Kit to Win!
If I remember correctly, last week I promised to share the recipe for my delicious peach vanilla jam which I boasted about in my April In My Kitchen post. I almost feel a little embarrassed calling this a recipe, because it really couldn’t be much easier. In fact it is a perfect start for any novice jam maker and to make it even simpler, the gorgeous people at Ball Products have given me one of their fabulous Deluxe Home Preserving Starter Kits to offer as a prize to one lucky reader this week – more about that later.
A couple of weeks back one of my lovely neighbours gave me a big bag of her late peaches – too many for us to get through. They were small and modest-looking cling-stones, but packed a powerful flavour punch. I’d never made peach jam before so figured it was time to give it a try.
I’m dead lazy, so peeling a bag of peaches was never going to happen for me and – guess what – you really don’t need to. Just give the fruit a good wash under a running tap and dry with a clean tea towel. Most of the fuzz will rub off and whatever is left just seems to vanish while cooking.
Peach Vanilla Jam
- 1 kilo sliced unpeeled cling stone peaches, stones removed.
- 500 gms CSR jam setting sugar
- 2 vanilla pods
- Place unpeeled fruit in food processor and chop very roughly, place in medium/large saucepan.
- Scrape the seeds from 2 vanilla pods. Add to fruit with the sugar, mix it all well and set aside for 30 minutes for the ingredients to get acquainted.
- Put pan over medium heat and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat, but keep to a slow boil, stirring regularly for 20 - 30 minutes.
- Test jam for set - is set if a small amount placed on a cold (freezer cold) saucer wrinkles around the edges and doesn't run.
- Place into sterile, hot jars, seal and label.
Now for the wonderful prize!
Ball Products have given me ONE of their Deluxe Home Preserving Starter Kit, valued at $139.99 for one of my readers to win. Ball® Deluxe Home Preserving Starter Kit offers a complete set for any preserver and comes with the Stainless Steel Waterbath Preserving Pot, Ball® Jars and essential preserving tools. The premium quality pot and preserving rack are ideal for larger batch sizes, but can also preserve small batch sizes depending on your recipe. The large pot can be used for other alternative kitchen creations, such as soups, stews and lobster.
Stainless Steel Waterbath Preserving Pot with Glass Lid – 21-quart capacity is large enough to hold up to 7 quart (32 oz) jars and features:
Triple layer base of thick aluminum fused between stainless steel provides even and efficient heat distribution. Compatible with all variety of stovetops.
Silicone covered handles ensure safe, cool and easy handling.
Tempered glass lid with steam vents ensures easy viewing.
Preserving Rack – fits both large and small jars
6 Ball® Pint (16 oz) Jars with Lids & Bands – ideal for preserving foods & tested for superior quality and sealing performance
Essential Utensil Set – handle and fill hot jars, measure headspace and remove air bubbles safely and easily.
To enter to win this fab prize, simply head over to Ball Products Australia Facebook page and “Like” them, then leave a comment on this page telling me what you love preserving.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. This competition is open to Australian residents only.
2. The competition opens today, 17 April 2015 and closes on Friday 1 May 2015.
3. To enter, simply ‘Like’ Ball Products Australia Facebook page and then leave a comment on this page telling me what you would love to preserve. Both tasks are mandatory and must be completed to enter the competition – and I will check.
4. Make sure you record your entry to be counted.
5. I have 1 Ball® Deluxe Home Preserving Starter Kit to give away.
6. One lucky winner will be drawn at random.
7. The winner will be notified by email and their name will be posted here. The winner must reply within 48 hours or the prize will be redrawn.