When you’ve had enough of the Christmas fare, try this delicious, simple & even a bit healthy dessert – Ricotta, Apricot and Marmalade Galette.
A couple of weeks back I was lucky enough to be given some of Carême Pastry‘s newest line – their delicious new spelt shortcrust and puff pastry.
Just in case you haven’t come across their products before, you do need to know that Carême Pastry is the absolute go-to for those of us who don’t have the time, skills or inclination to make their own pastry.
All of their exceptional quality frozen pastry is made with butter (naturally) and is produced right here in South Australia. The range covers all your pastry needs, including gluten free pastry, and the new spelt products mean that healthy eaters can enjoy indulgent pies and tarts without compromising on flavour or texture.
My commitment when baking is primarily to taste, and secondly to convenience. I do make much from scratch, but the truth is that I always keep a packet of Carême in the freezer for the days when I just know the homemade thing isn’t going to happen.
This week, using the spelt shortcrust pastry, I knocked up this divinely delicious ricotta, apricot and marmalade galette. I’d bought some of the new season’s stone fruit, but the apricots were lacking in flavour. I’m a big fan of roasting stone fruit to encourage more flavour out of it (see my Vanilla Roasted Apricots) so that’s where this recipe idea started from – evolving further after a trip to the shops.
This can be as sweet or otherwise as you like. Add more sugar to the ricotta, or less. Roll the pastry on sugar to get a sweet, sugary crust – or not. I had the added advantage of a secret stash of maple sugar left over from my trip to Canada earlier this year – and it really was the bomb – but caster sugar or coconut sugar would be good too. Whatever.
Using the delicious spelt pastry gives the Ricotta, Apricot and Marmalade Galette an added halo of health – not to mention a more complex, slightly nutty flavour profile too.
I can’t wait to have a play with the spelt puff pastry – I think my chicken and thyme sausage rolls will be just the thing!
Ricotta, Apricot and Marmalade Galette with Carême Pastry's new Spelt Shortcrust
- 1 packet Carême Spelt Shortcrust pastry thawed
- 300 gms fresh ricotta
- 1/4 cup caster sugar more for rolling out
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup marmalade
- 4-6 fresh apricots halved and stoned
- Preheat oven to 180C (360F).
- Grease a 24cm tart tin with a removable base.
- Combine the ricotta, eggs and 1/4 cup of caster sugar and mix well with a whisk.
- Sprinkle extra caster sugar on a clean surface and roll the pastry out to fit the tart tin, with 2-4cm extra overhang.
- Carefully spread the marmalade over the tart base, then gently spoon on the ricotta.
- Arrange the apricots over the top, nestling them in the ricotta, but not too deeply.
- Gently fold over the pastry around the edges, sprinkle with a little more sugar if desired.
- Bake 20-30 minutes, until pastry is lightly browned and the filling is set.
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving.