What’s in The Box July 7- Parsnip and Apple Soup
The link to this weeks goodiness is here!
This is real comfort food weather now and there is nothing more comforting than a great roast – plus the heat from the oven keeps the kitchen warm! There are plenty of roasting veggies in the boxes to keep everyone happy and even if you are a vegetarian there is no need to miss out. One of my favourite dishes is a big bowl of steamed couscous spiced with ras el hanout and full of roasted pumpkin, carrot, onion, capsicum and zucchini with some chopped up dried apricot or sultanas and chopped preserved lemon mixed through. Gluten intolerant? Then use rice or quinoa instead of the couscous!
Of course nothing heats you up better than a bowl of hot soup – so try this to use up some of the Granny Smiths.
- 700 gms parsnips, peeled and chopped in small dice
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled and diced (if you have a Thermomix you won’t need to peel them)
- 2 Tblsp butter
- 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
- 1-2 tsp curry powder (to taste)
- 250 ml milk
- chopped parsley for garnish.
- Melt butter in large, heavy based saucepan. Add parsnip and apples, stir to coat with butter, cover and cook over low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Add stock and simmer for 10-20 minutes until parsnip is cooked, stir in curry powder.
- Puree until very smooth with a stick blender or in the Thermomix.
- Add milk and reheat – do not boil.
- Serve garnished with parsley.