For Barbara Harris – Lemon, Pear and Choc Chip Muffins
The food blogging world is a very noisy place – both aurally and visually. There are a lot of us out here in the ether and we’d all quite like some of your attention. Some of us are prepared to go to great lengths to attract that attention with flashy themes and cleverly designed websites, glitzy photographs, amazing recipes and over-blown prose – not that there’s anything wrong with any of that. However, others take a quieter, more measured approach to their writing, food and life. They are not carried by trends, the drive for traffic or passing food fads, preferring instead to genuinely engage with their passion and those they meet through it.
Barbara Harris was a food blogger of the latter type. As she wrote in her seventh anniversary blog post, Wino’s and Foodies was a diary of Barbara’s days – “a place to leave my memories of family and recipes for my children.” It was the place where she shared her food and photo’s, and the place from which she reached out to other bloggers with warmth, support and sincerity – no matter how she was feeling. She was one of the first in the blogging world to reach out to me when I started this little piece of silliness, encouraging, including and supporting me. I valued her insight, friendship and kindness and I will be forever grateful that we were able to spend some time together briefly last year.
Barbara recently lost her battle with cancer, after quietly and courageously living with her diagnosis for some years. Her struggle was not easy, but she carried herself with inspiring dignity, grace and warmth and she will be missed more than she could possibly have imagined, by people whose lives she touched all around the world.
LiveSTRONG With a Taste of Yellow was Barbara’s creation, timed to coincide with Lance Armstrong’s LiveStrong Foundation Day to raise awareness of cancer. As an indication of the esteem in which she was held, this month’s Monthly Mingle event (created by Meeta of “What’s for Lunch, Honey“), hosted by Cook Sister is dedicated to Barbara’s memory and “A Taste of Yellow” so all who knew her and loved her can eat yellow one more time.
- 2 cups SR flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 good pinch salt
- 3/4 cup choc chips
- grated rind of one lemon
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 large pear, grated
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Grease and line muffin pan with paper cases.
- Place dry ingredients in a large bowl, whisk together with a fork.
- Place liquids and egg in smaller bowl, mix well with a fork.
- Add the grated pear, stir to combine.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir with large spoon to JUST combine. Do no over-mix.
- Spoon into prepared, lined muffin pans.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until golden.
Subscribe to Lambs' Ears and Honey
- 100 Sweet Fall Treats: A Recipe Round Up on FamilyFreshCooking.com — Family Fresh Cooking - [...] Lemon, Pear and Chocolate Chip Muffins [...]
- A Taste of Yellow in memory of Barbara: the Monthly Mingle roundup - Cooksister | Food, Travel, Photography - […] DISH: Lemon, pear and choc-chip muffins NAME: Amanda McInerney LOCATION: Australia BLOG: Lambs’ Ears and Honey […]